About the Museum
Chronological displays trace the evolution of Woodbridge from an Anglo Saxon settlement, to a medieval market town, port and ship building centre and then a garrison town during the Napoleonic wars. By 1801 the town was the fourth largest in Suffolk but the arrival of the railway in 1859 took away much of the maritime trade. The town expanded in the 1960's when it became the perfect place to live for people whose employers were relocating from London to the Ipswich area but its medieval heart remains intact.
Don't Miss: Thomas Seckford, the Tudor lawyer who was the father of British cartography, and Edward FitzGerald, the translator of the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam.
The museum is open seven days week until the 27th of October.
10am to 5pm (Last Admission: 4:30pm)
Visits at other times can be arranged by phoning 01394 385572
Children (Aged 5 to 16): 30p - Must be with an adult.
Under 5s: Free
Disabled Access: The museum is fully accessible for wheel chair users.
Parking: The museum site does not have parking. The nearest car park is at the Station.
A virtual museum giving detailed accounts of most aspects of the history of the town and its environs can be accessed from two terminals in the museum. The virtual museum also contains many of the photographs and maps in the museum's collection as well as material of interest to those tying to trace past inhabitants of the town.
Guided tours of either the town or the riverside can be pre-arranged as can talks on the history of the town and on its most significant former inhabitants. Please phone 01394 385572 for details.
Boxes containing artefact and teaching materials are available for loan to schools. These cover fossils, Roman Suffolk, Anglo-Saxon Suffolk, Suffolk and the sea, Victorian domestic fife, WWII and Suffolk butterflies. Please contact the museum for further details and to check availability.
The museum shop has a wide range of souvenirs, books and postcards reflecting the local area. There are also a large number of pamphlets on the history of the town and its inhabitants.